Thursday, August 11, 2011

In Defense of Tavis and Cornel

I am friends with Tavis Smiley and Cornel West, so it has been hard for me to watch and hear the often nasty attacks leveled at them both. While no person is above criticism, and I would not have used some of their words, much of what I'm hearing about them just leaves me shaking my head in wonder about where we are going as a nation that has so many needs. The Smiley and West "poverty tour" has presented their critics with another opportunity to accuse them of everything from grandstanding to undermining President Barack Obama. That is nonsense and reveals a more significant truth with which we all must deal: some people so hate the messenger that they can not accept the message no matter how important it may be. It has gotten to a point where their critics seem to be saying "if Smiley and West are for it, then I am against it."
Read more here

No comments:

Post a Comment