Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Reflections: Would students "get fired up" of AAAS classes?

Sadly after reading the post by several of my fellow group members, I must agree that the actual rallying for and over African and African American Studies classes is very slim. Yet, I disagree with the fact that it is seen as just another course or extra credit class. I feel the reason for most not to rally would simply be based on the fact that many students, and African Americans in general, feel that as African Americans we have reached that "dream" that Martin Luther King, Jr. onced preached about when actually this "dream" has yet to be anywhere near fully reached. They see Obama as President and think "we have conquered it all" when actually, they walk a path that may never cross that of Obama's. In actuality, many African Americans have reached a comfort zone of where they stand in life, because they are sitting in the same theater as other individuals who do not share the same skin tone or because their suit cost more than Bill Gates'. They find an African American studies program to be no longer needed because African Americans, in their eyes, have reached the top. They have lost the urge to fight, because they feel a fight is no longer needed. They are settling, because society is trying to portray an equality that really barely exists. I admit we have come a long way, but we honestly still have a long way they to go. Looking ouside of equality, African American students are afraid to engage in a course or program that will actually show them that "hey, your not done yet". They have a fear in something that will push them to work harder and go longer, because of truths they turned deaf ears on to never hear of. Yet, they need to know. Everyone needs to know more. There is no better way to start than enrolling in a program that introduces your mind to a world that you feel you can relate to, but honestly have no eartly idea about.

Unlike some of my peers, I would definitely rally for African and African American Studies classes. I refuse to settle when I know what myself and my other fellow African Americans are capable of. I would love to see them be able to take a course in a program where they can be encouraged, enlightened, enriched, and educated about where they have come from and where they can go. A program in why it is important to be that mentor and gain all the knowledge possible of African American studies to share to their fellow peers. A program that allows them to appreciate who they are and open doors that introduce them to new concepts and thoughts of their culture. A program where other ethnicities can learn, understand, and appreciate why African Americans find the need to succeed. An African and American Studies Program.

Maybe it is because I am a future educator that I feel you can never have too much knowledge in a subject. Or maybe it is because I am an African American that I feel we could never achieve too much. Whatever the reason may be, I still say "TO RALLY IS THE ANSWER"!!-Brittany Hill

This is my second semester at the U of M and all my classes have been online, so I don't have much insight on U of M students involvement with anything besides what I have seen on the news in the past and thats usually sports related. However I believe with this younger generation, the students would not get as fired up over AAAS being taught because of the commercialization of what society thinks is important. Usually this is more focused towards getting a degree, what's the next biggest fashion, car and where's the big party. If certain student activites or rights such as the option to join a fraternity or sorority were up for elimination then I believe the students would rally together. However since AAAS has never truely been introduce to society as a fundamental study, I don't think that there would be much of a protest for classes.-Tosha Blackwell

In my opinion, AAAS is very important to this campus. I do believe that if there was a possibility of AAAS being taken away from our campus, the leaders of campus would protest to have AAAS taught. I believe this because despite what some may believe, AAAS is vital in learning even more about the African American culture and heritage. I know of people who major in AAAS and take pride in their major just like someone majoring in Biology. I know many of my African American peers that are actively involved and would fight and protest so that AAAS is taught. An organization I believe that would be behind the movement to keep and fight to keep AAAS thriving on campus is a minority run organization-Black Student Association. Yes, it may seem that not many African American students are concerned about the state of African American Studies, I have been in different organizations and have seen the pride students carry knowing where they come from and the culture they live in now. Being in a sorority founded by strong black women, I find it vital knowing what was going on during the time period my founders began our illustrious organization and AAAS teaches that. I do believe that AAAS is important to every one not just African Americans because we all have so much to learn about where we come from, so that it does not hinder where we are headed.-Annastasia Allen

4 comments:

  1. In Tosha Blackwell's reflection, she speaks on the commercialization of society's importances. I must admit that I am in total aggreeance with her. So many individuals are "dumb" to what is actually happening around them. They are too lazy to find out things for themselves and rely solely on society to show them what really matters. It is sort of like a bandwagon type of ordeal. As Blackwell said "Usually this is more focused towards getting a degree, what's the next biggest fashion, car and where's the big party", never is it something of actual real deal life importance. If it isn't set in front of them in plain sight then they find it to be irrelevent and unimportant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to Brittany Hill's comment, I couldn't agree with you more. We have become complacent with our place in society. Previous generations have sacrificed so much for the things we take for granted. We have come so far, but it seems like today's generation is actually regressing. Dropping the "n" word like it's a standard greeting, little to no respect for women or elders, not wanting to learn about our history except for in February and only what BET vomits at us. I don't think it's as much fear as it is laziness which has our young people not wanting to really stand up for ANYTHING of value or substance. I have heard the term "self-hatred" used as what we are experiencing, but I believe it is simply lack of education. Education instills pride, which is why we need to fight for more courses on the U of M campus that deal with our culture. With pride for ourselves and our people, we can turn our generation and future generations around and show them that there is more to being Black than the stereotypes that have been thrown onto us.

    Yesterday's battles were fought with bombs, protests, sit ins, etc. Today, the battlefield is the mind, and the weapons are pens and paper. We need more educators like you to step up and prepare our future warriors for battle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we have become settled with that fact of "we are here," so to speak. We should continue the fight for equality and the fact that our children's children may never get the chance that we have to learn about their history as we have. In some instances I feel that some of us have taken for granted that fact of "freedom" as well as the opportunity to learn more. As the saying goes, if you don't use it, you will most definitely lose it. So, to sum it up, if we don't continue to fight for better education we will lose what rights we have. Even more sad, it will slowly deteriorate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree that it's all a mental battle which is problematic for African Americans because the vast majority of us are trapped in the frame of minds our grandmothers and grandfathers are in. We've been taught to be paranoid when it comes to racial issues which keeps us from being open minded. In my African American political thoughts class, for example, my instructor expressed his feelings about Martin L King. He said that he agrees that he is a great man, but doesn't believe he should be glorified or raised up on this pedestal that blacks have him on. He stated that there were plenty of civil rights leaders that accomplished way more than he did. This sent the class into an uproar and he had to end the conversation because they refused to accept that MLK was not a civil rights God. The key to our TRUE emancipation is the freeing of our mind from the ideology that being black is a burden when living in America. Blacks do belong here. We CAN contribute to the larger society, we're just too stuck in our own ways/old mentalities to make a difference

    ReplyDelete