Monday, February 13, 2012

AAAS Interracial History

by Charlencia Taylor

I enjoyed reading both Introduction to African American Studies and White Money Black Power. I cannot wait to read more! Both books really taught me a lot and opened my eyes to new thinking about African & African American Studies. They both really began to show me the evolution of the program, its originating principles and problems, and its current issues. I was very interested in seeing in White Money Black Power how interracial the fight was for Blacks Studies, and how in some cases the Black Studies program was a result of the fight for racial inclusion and not necessarily its on fight. The remarks that Noliwe M. Rooks’ son made were heartwarming and predictable. I thought the same way until I came to college and took classes about African Americans. I thought the fight was primarily fought for, with, and by blacks. I knew a few key white people that helped along the way, but I never thought or imagined that they were on the ground fighting right alongside black people for equality for all. I understand the attitude and the concept that his son believed to be true because in church and in high school that is what I was fed. Dr. Aram Goudsouzian teaches a course called “The Civil Rights Movement,” and in this class, he often referred to what the version of the movement located in high school textbooks and old in some churches is a storybook version meaning that we learn the key figures, key events, and key location and then wrap all up into the equality because of a few laws.

There was a statement in White Money Black Power about as Americans we talk about Race as diversity. We are unable to have a discussion or conversation about racism in America today. The only time we can mention race is to emphasize the argument that it is no longer a problem. This point in the book brought to remembrance a book I just read called Racial Paranoia. This book says that in America we are equal on in the law. It states that the need and ability to be overtly racist is diminished because of public retaliation and the law. It also states that when racism was legal there was no need to hide feeling, but now that it is frowned upon, people are subtle about their racist intentions. Minorities are always questioning things in their lives and contributing it to their minority status whereas whites do not have to worry or even think “Is it because I’m white?”

No comments:

Post a Comment