Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Benefits of AAAS

by Andrea Benson

I did not know the true struggle for the AAAS Department in institutions until I began to read on these topics and watch the interviews. I felt so unaware of what is really going on. Sometimes we often take for granted those opportunities that are offered to us. I for one choose to minor in AAAS because I love the aspects of the history of the African American generation that are taught in the classes. Literature for me is a passion and a love, but to see how my own race has been a great influence in literature has been a great inspiration. I often felt that some types of literature were a little complicated and I enjoyed the challenge of trying to figure out what authors were trying to deliver through their writings. With African American literature and history you get so much more. The study itself is a sign of a struggling nation of people who have overcome so many barriers to become successful. What greater motivation for any race, than to study a group of people who have beat all odds against them. AAAS also gives an individual a diverse way of thinking, learning to think outside of the box. Imagining and positioning ourselves in the lives of individuals who have made great change and difference in our society. Who knows where this nation would be if the past was still the present. However, it is great to learn and know the reasons behind the pursuit of becoming a greater nation.

1 comment: