Sunday, September 12, 2010

How my mother's fanatical views tore us apart

She's revered as a trail-blazing feminist and author Alice Walker touched the lives of a generation of women. A champion of women's rights, she has always argued that motherhood is a form of servitude. But one woman didn't buy in to Alice's beliefs - her daughter, Rebecca, 38.

Here the writer describes what it was like to grow up as the daughter of a cultural icon, and why she feels so blessed to be the sort of woman 64-year-old Alice despises - a mother.

Read More here

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to say that I read this article and if I had to choose a side I would side completely with Alice Walker. I am a mother and I feel like i'm enslaved a lot of the time. I feel deeply that being a mother cripples a woman of her choices and lifestyle. Maybe if I had the comforts of a wealthy father and step mother who raised me when my mother who was much worse than how Alice Walker has been portrayed in this article, to step in and raise me then I too could feel that motherhood is a blessing. I feel the pain that Alice Walker went through in the words of her daughter. I believe as black women, most of us are lied to. We're supposed to be super- woman strong and all of this but no one ever tells of how broken down one can become trying to fit that image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its terribly sad that Alice Walker has chosen to not apart of her child's and grandson's life. Despite her views Alice Walker should acknowledge the fact that not everyone is predisposed to believe that motherhood is a burden and or a curse.

    ReplyDelete