Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Miseducation of a Nation: Unveiling the Illusion of History

As always, I'd like to begin by offering peace and respect to all that honor humanity in words and deeds. The struggles of daily life often create distractions, and I like most become a victim of life circumstances, but as long as we are living, we must keep striving for higher ground. To do that, we must first accept that history is a matter of perspective (place, space, and time), but truth is universal and transcending. Perception makes it difficult to recognize truth. One’s perspective is based on one’s experience. People cannot understand of what they have had no experience. This is understandable and in many ways hard to argue against. I can’t fault my students for not knowing material I have not taught them…but if I teach them a lesson, they are then expected to know it.
Read more here

3 comments:

  1. This is enlightneing and I must say, each day I feel as though it is a struggle to work in white america and be a black woman. Opportunities are more prevelant for white people because they were born into the color of opportunity. White supremacy has been around for hundreds of years and it is still rearing it's ugly head. I believe that a person should be given an opportunity, not because he/she is white but because he/she is capable, knowledgeble and experienced. I myself have been bypassed in the promotion pool because i am black. I have the ability, experience and knowledge, but when placed against a white woman or man, with less ability, i am bypassed. Is this fair, no. It is reality. A reality that our kids will also live unless some drastic change is propelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This artical is very profound. Since I am in the younger generation (18 yrs old) it makes me open my eyes a little more and realize how corrupt this world is. I agree with her on how the government programs are only making people more depedent. And its funny to me how some of my friends often brag about being on welfare and food stamps. A person should not be proud of that and settle for government assistance. A person should not try to produce a lot of children so that they can qualify for section 8 and other programs. I agree with her, there is a lot of misunderstandings and lack of education with this nation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny Glover did a great job in expressing Frederick Douglas. Frederick Douglas was expressing the truth that blacks are still not really free and really has no reason to celebrate the Fourth of July. As young black African Americans, we must realize the truth that the words in the constitution was never meant for blacks but for whites because even after slaves were free many whites still saw and treated them like slaves.

    ReplyDelete