Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Mic Sounds Nice: Women & Hip Hop

A couple of days before this documentary aired I was asked on Twitter, Who are your Top 5 female emcees? My answer was: MC Lyte, Queen Latifah, Salt N Pepa, Yo Yo, and Lauryn Hill, because they had the biggest impact on my young mind and vulnerable feminine self.
They key to that answer is the because. Now if we're talking strictly skillz, slice 'em in half with sharp ax where the minds grasps the tongue, then I would still say MC Lyte and Lauryn Hill, but I'd also line up Rah Digga, Jean Grae, and Bahamadia. But in keeping it centered on those who raised me so to speak, those who had my ear when I first stepped out into those late 80's early 90's streets, fresh-faced with dimples and my little red arriving every month, feeling like I was grown, unaware that the wolves could smell me coming from down the block--then I gotta stick with those 5.

All the more so because I truly pray for these young girls today, out here carrying the same daddy and abuse issues that most of us do, only now there's a strong pimp game on steroids going on in these streets and glorified in the rhymes. The average age a young girl gets turned out seems to be dropping down to numbers that surely signal hell has arrived or perhaps has always been; this digital world where stripping is glamorized and sex tapes are seen as a ticket to the big show. With the internet, social networks, texting turned sexting, the traps for young girls, and god help those with little or no self-esteem, have been set in every direction; it's to the point where one can only hope they can shake off the slings and arrows, as avoiding them altogether seems highly unlikely.
Read more here

4 comments:

  1. I think we can even look outside of Hip Hop and see a lack of positive female influences. The females that have made it are taking on a male agenda. They are popular for being a female who talk about one night stands, hooking up, and being tough. We have no female leaders like the author mentioned. We have no big sister or cousins who are giving positive advice about wrapping it up or protecting ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Brittany. But to follow up on your assertion that "women are taking on a male agenda," I believe you may be on to something there. In the class we will talk about patriarchy and how this hegemonic force forces how "successful women" speak and are heard. In short, can a woman speak uplifting and positive words about and for women and be respected?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a young woman I look for role models such as my mother. She carries herself like a respectful woman and has instilled the values of family and love for people in me. I believe all teachings about life and life struggles begin in the home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I did not get to watch the documentary that aired on BET, but I enjoyed reading this article. I grew up listening to hip-hop and is still currently listening to it as an adult. Now to comment on the article, I must say that it is not the responsibility of the public to instill good values in our youth, although they have a major influence on them. It is the responsibilty of the parents to teach their children to distinguish the different in reality and tv. Because their are some excellent role models out their for them, but it is ultimately up to the individual to pattern themselves with the appropriate influences.

    ReplyDelete